A delicious take on traditional lasagna, this is a vegetarian meal with a little pop of cilantro for a kick!
Spinach and Black Bean Lasagna
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 15 oz. ricotta cheese
- 20 oz. frozen spinach, thawed and well-drained
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 cups shredded Monterey Jack
- 2 16 oz. cans black beans, drained
- 1 2 lb. 13 oz. jar tomato pasta sauce Classico is a great choice!
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 9 precooked lasagna noodles I still like to boil these lightly as the precooked still can be kind of crunchy if not
- Stir together beaten eggs, ricotta, spinach, cilantro and salt plus 1 cup Monterey Jack.
- Mash beans with a potato masher, I actually throw them in the food processor for a few seconds which saves a lot of work
- Stir in pasta sauce and cumin
- Spread 1/3 of bean mixture on bottom of a lightly greased 13×9" baking dish
- Layer with 3 noodles, half of spinach mixture and 1 cup Monterey Jack
- Repeat layers
- Spread with 1/3 bean mixture and top with remaining noodles and bean mixture.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for one hour, then uncover and top with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes more or till cheese melts.