If you love cornbread like I do, this recipe is for you! Now there’s no need to make cornbread, corn muffins, arepas, etc. as a side dish, the cornbread is baked right into the dish, and it absorbs all the taco juices so it’s extra delish!
Crock Pot Tamale Cobbler
- Crock Pot
- 1 lb. ground beef I like to cook my ground beef with taco seasoning first. You can also use ground sausage
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 15 oz. black beans, drained
- 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes You can use spicy if you like it hot!
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 pkg. Jiffy cornbread mix
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- sour cream For garnish, if desired
- Cook ground beef or sausage in skillet till browned. I like to cook the ground beef in taco seasoning for extra flavor
- Add beef or sausage to greased Crock Pot
- Add all other ingredients EXCEPT cornbread mix, eggs, and cheese
- Cook on low about 5 to 6 hours.
- One hour before serving, mix the eggs and cornbread mix in a small bowl. Add in dollops and smooth mixture over your meat mixture in Crock Pot. Put lid back on and let the cornbread mix cook at least 30 minutes, up to one hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean and the mixture is firm. Mine cooks pretty fast so keep an eye on it, just depends on the crock pot size.
- Top with shredded cheese, cover and let stand 5 to 10 minutes
- Serve with sour cream (the cornbread can be a little dry) and garnish with salsa or cilantro if desired!