A delicious, creamy and tangy soup with cream cheese – you can also use ground sausage which I actually prefer but my husband put his foot down on the sausage so I switched it up to chicken which is actually easier because I let the breasts cook in the Crock Pot but spicy sausage is super-flavorful albeit not quite as healthy!
Creamy Southwest Chicken Soup
- Crock Pot
- 4-6 chicken breasts
- 3 cloves minced garlic I just use about 1/4 tsp. pre-minced refrigerated garlic
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 16 oz. canned tomato soup
- 8 oz. canned tomato sauce
- 15 oz. canned black beans, drained
- 15 oz. canned kidney beans, drained
- 2 cans Rotel diced tomatoes I love the Spicy Rotel for extra zip
- 15 oz. canned corn, drained
- 4 cups chicken broth Dependent on size of crock pot you may use much less
- 2 tsp. salt
- 8 oz. cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- If you're going to use ground sausage, cook in skillet per package instructions till done
- Lightly grease Crock Pot
- Add chicken or sausage to pot. If using chicken, I put the whole breasts in, and then take them out after about 3 or 4 hours and shred, then I toss back in to cook another hour or so
- Add all ingredients, with whipping cream then chicken broth last. I usually end up only using about 1 to 2 cups of chicken broth because I like the soup very creamy, and sometimes I use none at all. So watch it, the extra broth can make it watery, and I prefer a thick soup.
- Let cook on low heat in Crock Pot 4 to 6 hours (I usually go 6 with chicken).
- The cream cheese does not always melt all the way through so I stir it well before serving, and if there are still cream cheese chunks, I zap each individual bowl in microwave, then stir again.