This is a great dish for potlucks or to take to a dinner party. It’s really a side dish because there’s no protein, but you can definitely add chicken so it’s more like a casserole. It is seriously always a huge hit, I bring it to every potluck and people rave over it. The key is the butter!
A delicious and savory vegetarian side dish
Servings: 6 people
- 1 box Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice Mix this is key, Uncle Ben's tastes the best
- 2 10 oz. packages frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack I actually use closer to 4
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tbsp. chopped onion I substitute onion powder because I don't like onions
- 3/4 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Cook rice according to package instructions
- Press thawed spinach between paper towels to drain
- Combine rice, spinach and remaining ingredients in a bowl
- Spoon into a lightly greased 2 quart shallow casserole
- Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes
This delicious spinach dish is rich and buttery, I really feel like the Uncle Ben’s brand makes it! You can definitely add shredded chicken for protein, and I’ll just share what my mom says about this dish “Serve with salad, fruit (melon in summer), bread for hearty eaters. Dessert is a must with a vegetarian dinner!!” Don’t you just love moms?